Monday 28 December 2009

Reflection on COP15 (by Rui Wang)

It is nearly one week since I came back from Copenhagen. From the media reports on the conference results at home and abroad, there are some positive news but much more negative ones. Now, I will say my reflection on COP15.

About Negotiation

Before I went to Copenhagen, I was told that the negotiation might not reach an agreement, but it would not affect my passion for it. Instead, I was full of eagerness for the Climate Conference which was regarded as a significant event in history. However, I found it more complicated than what I had expected on arriving there. In the first two days, there was no conflict in the conference; while on the 3rd day, Tuvalu jumped out to advocate tearing up the Kyoto Protocol and moreover working out a more radical and valid document. Tuvalu’s suggestion soon got the support from many developed countries but at the same time met with the opposition from a lot of developing countries. The fuse ignited the whole assembly hall and the conflicts suddenly became fiercer. In the following days, the developed countries were fighting against the developing countries; Oriental countries were struggling against the Occident countries; and the island countries were crying over being flooded… The political farces were put on one by one… Then, the Ministers from different countries and decision-makers came here successively. Denmark government almost blocked the Bella Centre, so many NGOs could not enter the hall. With the strong dissatisfaction with Denmark government, NGOs organized large scaled march and the police had to use tear gas to disperse the crowd. Then, it came to the final situation that various countries were secretly competing with each other inside and the police and the crowd were locked in fierce struggle outside the Bella Centre.

Facing the disordered situation, I did not know which word would be the perfect one describing my mood. At that moment, I realized that the climate conference had developed to a competing game on politics and economics instead of a simple negotiation about the climate change and the global warming. It was just like the dirty footprints on the white snow.

Seen and Heard

Although felt bitterly disappointed with the negotiation, I was moved by the passion of NGO and deeply impressed by their march on Dec. 12th. Tens of thousands of people were parading by holding banners and shouting slogans despite the coldness that day. Among them, the most impressive one was the slogan that “There is no planet B.” Deeply touched by the slogan, I realized the indisputable fact that the earth is the only homeland for our human beings.

Besides, another exciting thing was the chance to meet with Robert Swan, the first man in the world reaching both the South and North Pole. I was overawed and moved by his persistence in the dream and his devotion for the environmental protection. By spending nearly 10 years, he tried to collect money to realize the dream of crossing the Antarctic; for 7 times, he took the cargo ships to the Arctic to clear away the rubbish left by other countries… Not merely realizing his own life value, he created chances for others to realize theirs. With his own stories, he inspired the ambitious young people all over the world who had the same dream. “Every step you take is a story. You must build your story.” This is the word he told me. I believe that it will encourage and accompany me to realize my dream that “I will be an international environmentalist no matter what kind of job I will take in the future.”

Reflection

As a common high school student in China, I do not really understand the complicated political issues but I would view the climate negotiation from a neutral perspective. To my delight, I have seen a great many young people are willing to devote themselves with the close concern for the climate change despite different nationalities. At the same time, I have heard some indifferent and even opposed voices. In my opinion, the knowledge of climate change is still need to be popularized and more people should realize the urgency of global warming.

Every day, we are told that each one of us should participate in the environmental protection, start with small things and influence the people around. It cannot be denied that it is very important, but the more important thing is the participation of different governments, whose force is much more powerful than ours. If there is only the participation from our individuals with the government looking on coldly, we can imagine how miserable the future would be. I think this is my reflection on the conference from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment