Wednesday 9 December 2009

Interviewing the Sudanese Minister of Foreign affairs' Environmental Affairs Director (by Yiting Wang)

On the first day of COP 15, Monday afternoon, the first planetary AWG-LCA meeting was held in the biggest conference hall.

The Sudanese Minister of Foreign affairs’ Environmental Affairs Director Amira Gornass drew my attention as she gave a speech on behalf of the G77+China group, stating the group’s full engagement and good faith here to implement the Bali Action Plan. She also delivered an opening speech for the group during last UN climate change conference.

Educated at one of oldest women’s college in the U.S., I was preceded by highly accomplished women throughout the U.S. history in science, education and governance, etc. I approached her during the meeting to request an interview afterwards, as part of my goal here to identify outstanding women leaders fighting against climate change. She kindly agreed.

My first question was how she thought of the role of women in face of climate change. Ms. Gornass replied firmly that women have a huge role. First of all women were the ones mostly hit by climate change and care about the environment. “We were the cookers, farmers at home. We were the educators of our children. I think education women’s education is especially important.”

The second question was on the role of women in Sudan in particular. Ms. Gornass was very proud to tell me that about 60% of college students were female in Sudan, although the awareness of climate change still lacked in Sudan. They are not just suffering from it, not realizing that it was largely caused by climate change. The conflict in Southern Sudan was essentially a resource war caused by many desertification and droughts that were associated with climate change. The government now was bringing up the education of global warming—not a lot, and more is needed.

When speaking of the Chinese Sudanese relationship, Ms. Gornass said it was 50 years of good friendship, “Chinese people come to Sudan to develop the invest in the infrastructure and trade.” She also expected this COP meeting will generate strong outcomes with Annex-1 countries fulfilling their duties.

I wasted no time to take a photo with her. She said I should come to visit someday and she would receive me at her house. No other way, said me.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the role of women and women's education is huge in combating climate change. I think it is very important what you and all of China Youth is doing at the conference. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. Yiting, you represent alot more than just Chinese, American, and youth internationally, you represent women too. Really you represent all of us, concerned global citizens. I think the response that you got from your interview with Ms. Gornass was wonderful. I think it is wonderful that she recognizes the lack of awareness of people in her own country which I believe more people around the globe should realize, particularly in the United States. Here in the states we act as if we already know what's going on, that every thing is under control which leads to complacency in the majority of the public leaving them totally unmotivated to further educate themselves or make changes in their life styles. I hope that you can go stay with Ms. Gornass someday. Making connections is so important! Thanks for what you are doing in Copenhagen. You are an inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete